The Man : His
- Raced with the best in sprint mushing demonstration races
in the 1932 Lake Placid Winter Olympic Games.
- In 1967, drove a snowmobile 5000 miles from Alaska to
- Brazenly declared himself dog driving champion of the
Pentagon to compete as the first non-Alaskan dog driver
in the North American Sled Dog Championships in Alaska.
- At age 68, moved to Alaska for dogs and adventure with
empty pockets after a business collapse and a shattered
marriage. Shoveled sidewalks for food, found a job as a
janitor, and built a dog team.
- Participated in 13 Iditarods, running his first one at
age 72. Completed 6 with his last finish being in 1990 at
the age of 84.
- Crashed President Carter's inaugural parade and was in
the next two.
- Taught John Paul II how to mush.
- In 1997 organized the annual 868-mile Serum Run from
Nenana to Nome, Alaska. This commemorates the 1925 dash
to Nome by the fastest village dog teams to deliver diphtheria
serum to save Nome.