The Man : Military
- With 425 dogs under his command in WWII, trained men
and dogs for daring rescues.
- Instigated the rescue by dog team of 26 air crew on the
Greenland ice sheet, saving the fighter pilots and bombardiers
of the Lost Squadron
- Under enemy eyes, returned solo by dog team to the crashed
planes to salvage the top-secret Norden bombsight.
- Fifty years later, traveled to Greenland for 11 years
to help salvage one Lost Squadron P-38 plane from its prison
- Persuaded top brass to risk a brilliant scheme to evacuate
wounded soldiers by dog sled from the Battle of the Bulge
with 209 dogs and 17 drivers.
- Served as Chief of Search and Rescue for the North Atlantic
Division of the International Civil Aviation Organization,
the air wing of the U.N.
- Served in the Psychological Warfare Department with the
Pentagon in the Korean War.